Home : About Us : Community Involvement : Equity Through Education : Indspire

Indspire

Equity Through Education

Indspire Logo Indspire is the former National Aboriginal Achievement Foundation. Its new name combines the key notions of Indigenous and inspiration to highlight its exciting mandate. Indspire's focus is on supporting, innovating, and fundamentally transforming Indigenous education.

In partnership with Indigenous, private and public sector stakeholders, Indspire educates, connects and invests in Indigenous people so they will achieve their highest potential.

How Indspire will use proceeds from Equity Through EducationTM

The proceeds from Equity Through Education supports Indspire's commitment to creating a diverse, supportive and equitable workplace, and to help Aboriginal students achieve their educational goals. Equity Through Education funds scholarships in every field of study, with a focus on business, engineering, math and science.

To date, Equity Through Education has funded 446 scholarships for Aboriginal students across Canada.

For information on how to apply, please visit the Indspire website.

Indspire Equity Through Education Scholarship Recipients

Name: Dezire Sarain Squakin
Indigenous Affiliation: First Nation
Studying: Bachelor of Science
School: University of British Columbia

Future plans: I plan on transferring into the Bachelor of Management program with a major in accounting. I chose accounting because I feel there is a high demand for financial literacy in First Nations communities. This knowledge will allow me to work in my community and help our local Indigenous businesses succeed.

Name: Claudine Gladue
Studying: Bachelor of Science
School: Grant MacEwan University

Future plans: I am in computer science and I feel my technological skills can really help my community. I want to bring my skills and not only use them in my career but also teach them to others so that they can become computer literate.

Name: David Big Canoe
Studying: Business Administration – Marketing
School: Seneca College

Future plans: My hopes are that I will one day become a marketing manager in a large company that has the values that reflect my own, such as giving back to Indigenous communities, and promoting a low carbon footprint and a healthy work environment.

Name: Keaton Sinclair
Indigenous Affiliation: Métis
Studying: Engineering
School: University of Saskatchewan

Future plans: I have always liked building things and have always understood physics, materials, structural systems and calculus and realized that this would allow me succeed in the engineering field. I plan to become a civil engineer.